Installing Your New Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Ideally, a licensed professional should install your new bathroom ventilation fan. But there are a few things you should know about the fan's installation:
- Only install a properly sized fan for your bathroom and ventilation needs. how to size a bathroom ventilation fan
- Bathrooms with ceilings greater than eight feet may require additional ventilation.
- An enclosed toilet room (as in the master bathroom) should have its own ventilation.
- All ventilation should be ducted outdoors- not into the ceiling joists or attic.
- The bathroom door should be undercut at least 3/4" so that fresh air may enter the room.
- Fans approved for installation in wet areas should be located over or very near the shower or tub.*
Ducting Your New Fan
Aero Pure recommends non-perforated four-inch diameter duct which allows for easy installation between and through both eight- and ten-inch ceiling joists. Larger diameter duct may become an issue of ease-of-fit and compromise the intergrity of both the ceiling joists and the exterior aesthetics of the house. Always use the duct diameter specified for your ventilation fan. Reducing the duct diameter will reduce the fan’s performance (CFMs
) and increase the noise (sones
) in your bathroom.
Smooth is Best
Aero Pure recommends using galvanized sheet metal or PVC duct; a smooth surface duct maximizes your fan's airflow. Ridges in flexible aluminum duct and dryer duct hose will reduce your fan’s performance (CFMs)
, add to the noise (sones
) in the bathroom, and consume more energy.
Less is Better
Try to avoid any bends or elbows which will reduce the fan’s performance. If you must bend or elbow the duct, be sure you allow at least a two- to three-foot run out of the fan before the air passes through the first elbow. An elbow or bend that is too close to the fan’s exhaust port will be pushed back into the fan and compromise the fan's performance . A long-radius elbow, rather than a sharp 90° elbow, will help maximize the fan’s performance (CFMs
) and minimize noise (sones